Saturday, November 7, 2009

2005 Ridge Buchignani Carignane


I've taken some time off from writing about wines I've had. Not intentionally, just got busy. The reason I'm doing the blog in the first place is to force myself to think about and name what I'm getting from the wine. It makes me more a more intentional consumer. This wine is 100% old vine, hillside Carignane from the Buchignani Ranch. These folks also grow a nice zinfandel on this property. This is not a heavy wine --the color is a translucent ruby. The nose is quite closed about 15 minutes after opening. There is some fruit, but so faint that it's hard to identify. Though the wine is 14.6% alcohol, even that isn't apparent in the nose. As I work more on this I'm getting some blackberry in the nose and in the mouth. The acid overpowers the fruit at this early stage and there's a slight sulpheric note in this light to medium bodied wine. The finish is of medium length and pleasant. Perhaps as this opens up it will develop into something more, but at this point it's a fairly simply, slightly funky quaff.

No comments:

Post a Comment